If you are thinking about renovating, you must be aware of asbestos.Importantly, if you suspect you have asbestos in your home, Don't cut it! Don't drill it! Don't drop it! Don't sand it! Don't saw it! Don't scrape it! Don't scrub it! Don't dismantle it! Don't tip it! Don't water-blast it! Don't demolish it! And whatever you do... Don't dump it! Extreme care must be taken with the handling and disposal of asbestos-based products.

Asbestos is a known carcinogen. The inhalation of asbestos fibres is known to cause mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis.

Asbestos poses a risk to health by inhalation whenever asbestos fibres become airborne and people are exposed to these fibres.

Disturbing asbestos may cause fine asbestos fibres to become airborne, which can be breathed in and penetrate the deepest parts of the lungs.

Repairs and renovations that involve removing, cleaning, cutting, drilling, sanding or painting can all release dangerous fibres into the air.

Unfortunately asbestos fibres were widely used in building materials before the mid-1980s and houses built or renovated prior to then they may contain asbestos.

Between 1945 and 1954, 70,000 asbestos cement houses were built in NSW and until the 1960s more than 25% of all new houses in Australia were clad in the material.

Please make immediate contact with Council's Development Services Department for advice on the correct removal and handling procedures.

asbestos fact sheet (PDF) (2.46 MB)

Plumbing and Drainage

From 1 January 2013 Fair Trading became the state's single plumbing and drainage regulator for all on-site plumbing and drainage work.
NSW Fair Trading has delegated inspection and enforcement powers to regional councils currently conducting plumbing and drainage inspections.

The 2012 plumbing reforms were part of a state-wide initiative by the NSW Government to provide a more consistent and effective approach to standard setting, on-site regulation and licensing in NSW.

As part of the plumbing regulatory framework, Fair Trading licenses plumbers and drainers under the Home Building Act 1989, and all plumbing and drainage work must be completed by a person who holds a licence, qualified supervisor certificate or tradesperson certificate. In addition, a system of on-site regulation ensures that NSW plumbing and drainage work is monitored, so it complies with technical standards and regulations.

What does this mean for plumbers and drainers in regional NSW?

For plumbers and drainers working in regional NSW (that is work outside of the areas where Sydney Water and Hunter Water are the water and sewer provider) you continue to contact Council to book inspections, pay inspection fees, submit documentation and for any other enquiries.

Information & Advice

The Development Serices Department is currenly creating an updated series of fact sheets to cover the varied range of information and directions you may require.

For information in the meantime, contact the Department on 03 545 3200.


Council's 149 Certifcate covers the following:

  • Section 149(2) Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, 1979                                            
  • Section 149(5) Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, 1979                                            
  • Section 603 Local Government Act, 1919                                                                                              
  • Copy of Drainage Diagram (Occupied Allotments)                                                                            
  • Special Water Meter Reading Certificates                                                                                            
  • Noxious Weeds Certificate                                                                                                                         
  • Certificates under Sec 121ZP EP & A Act                                                                                
  • Certificates under Sec 735 LGA                                                                                                 
  • Combined Certificates – 121ZP EP & 735 LGA


For further information contact the Development Services Department on 03 5453 3200  

149 certificate 2015-2016

Development, Planning/Construction

In this section of our site you'll find all relevant information regarding development and planning.

If you can't find what you're looking for then call our Barham office on 03 5453 3200

These areas come under the Development Services umbrella and are dealt with by that Department, and is headed by Paul O'Brien. Specific information on each area can be found under separate headings. Use links in the lefthand navigation bar to access the sub sections of this area of the site.

Any prospective developer interested in setting up, relocating or expanding an existing development/business or enterprise within the Wakool Shire needs to first contact the Economic Development Officer. A meeting will then be co ordinated with the Economic Development Officer, Director of Environmental Services, Director of Engineering Services, General Manager and Councillors to ascertain what the developer's requirements are and exactly what Council's requirements are under Local Planning Regulations and NSW Legislation. Therefore everybody knows what is required from the beginning with no "surprises" later on through the process.

Dog Registration

For millions of Australians, dogs and cats are part of the family.  In NSW around 80,000 dogs and cats are lost, hurt or stolen each year.  Most are impounded and are not able to be identified.

Under the Companion Animals Act, cats and dogs throughout NSW must be identified with a microchip by the time the animal is 12 weeks old.  Once the animal is microchipped, these identification details are entered into the NSW Companion Animal Register.  A certificate is issued to the owner with the identification details.

The permanent identification (microchipping) and lifetime registration scheme greatly assists authorities in return lost and injured animals to their owners. Once microchipped and registered, your pet is protected for life.

How do I register my pet?

Step 1 - Permanent Identification through microchipping

The microchipping procedure is no more painful than a vaccination and is carried out the same way.  Microchipping can be arranged through our local Vets (Border Vet Clinic 03 5453 3159)

Once your cat or dog has been microchipped, then you need to lifetime register it by 6 months of age.

Step 2 - Registration through Council or the NSW Companion Animals Register

Lifetime registration can be done at Wakool Shire Council or via the NSW Companion Animals Register.  All NSW Councils are connected to the state wide register. Alternatively, you can complete this online form: Lifetime Registration

When you register your pet you will need:

1.  A certificate of microchipping or a letter from your vet
2.  Proof of de-sexing from your vet or a statutory declaration
3.  Any documents which entitle you to a discount (i.e pension card)



Dogs must be microchipped before being rehoused or before 12 weeks of age (whichever comes first).

Registration Fees are a one off payment (as long as they stay within current State) & are as follows:

  • Desexed Dog - $52
  • Pensioner (Aged or Returned Services) with Desexed Dog - $21
  • Recognised Breeder (non desexed) - $52 (has to be registered with State Canine Authority or have Council consent as breeder)
  • Non Desexed Dog - $192
  • Working (farm) dogs and assistance animals (guide dogs, hearing dogs, etc): No Charge.

Please note: Working dogs do not have to be microchipped or registered but must wear a collar bearing the dogs identification (name & phone number). However if a working dog commits an offense (is picked up wandering) and is impounded it cannot be released until it is registered and microchipped and the owner will be fined for having a wandering dog - approx $320.

Dog owners are also responsible for the following:

  • Leash your dog when in a public place and make sure the dog is under effective control at all times.
  • Pick up your dogs waste.
  • Ensure your dog does not attack a person or other animal.
  • Make sure your dog does not enter food consumption areas, wildlife protection areas, school or child playgrounds or within 10 metres of child playground equipment or any other place which Council has made a prohibited area to dogs. 


Change of animal details

It is your responsibility as a companion animal owner to ensure that the NSW Companion Animals Register is up to date and correct.  Contact Wakool Shire to provide the updated information.

Changes that need to be notified are:

  • Animal dies (notification within 28 days)
  • Lost animal - The animal has been missing for more than 72 hours

Stock Control

It is an offense to allow any type of stock to wander at large. Wandering stock is a menace and a danger to other property owners, to the public, and especially to the motorists.

The aim of this Section is to provide effective and efficient control of dogs, stock and domestic animals within the Shire to ensure public order and safety to the well being of the community. This area is the responsibility of Councils Compliance Officer.

In case of wandering stock or for further information please contact Councils Compliance Officer,Barham Office on 03 54533200

(mobile 0448 190 613).

Noxious Weeds

Noxious weeds are weedy plant species that are controlled and or managed under state or territory legislation. The legislation prescribes a variety of management options from prohibition of sale and trade to enforced control. The legislation regulations may affect all or part of a jurisdiction. Weed control is the responsibility of individual states and territories including the legislation






































Identification and control of noxious weed and pest with the Shire to an acceptable level.

A complete list of Weeds declared Noxious within the Wakool Shire Council is available for viewing and/or printing by clicking here.

The NSW  Department of Primary Industries also produces a range of factsheets that can be found by clicking here.

Wakool Shire Council will be carrying out routine weed spraying of all Local and Main Road Shoulders throughout the Wakool Shire Council area at various times, for the period from 20th July 2015 through to 20th July 2016.

The immediate area being sprayed will be sign posted whilst the spray unit is in operation/progress.

Landholders with any problems regarding noxious plants or that require further infomation regarding spraying should contact Council’s Noxious Weeds Officer, Mr Stephen Battenally on 0427 513 982 during business hours.

Riverina weeds website